Senior Monitoring Surveyor – London, Croydon or Bristol
Hybrid Working - Competitive Salary
Henry Riley is seeking to hire a Senior Monitoring Surveyor to join our Monitoring Division and take responsibility for multiple client developments within the South region. Our projects span from the Southwest, southeast, London and the northern home counties. Therefore, candidates could carry out this role whilst residing anywhere within these regions.
The Senior Monitoring Surveyor is expected to monitor the management and commercial (financial) position of construction projects are effectively controlled and accurately reported. You will be required to advise on project feasibility and report on all aspects of due diligence in a professional and commercially astute manner.
You may also be asked to partner with more senior colleagues to support your learning and development. As a key contact to clients, you will need to build strong relationships and be confident at interpreting and presenting data in the delivery of projects. You will be required to build strong team working skills to manage activities between multiple parties, such as Clients, Developers, Contractors and Professional team members.
Key tasks and responsibilities of the Monitoring Surveyor role include:
- Ensure the Client receives due diligence advice in line with the terms of appointment
- Attend site meetings with Clients / Developers as required
- Provide day-to-day monitoring of projects from initial queries and reporting through to final draw down / report.
- Prepares Monitoring Reports to ensure all aspects of the project are reviewed with any risks highlighted to Clients including the preparation of Initial due diligence and monthly draw down reports.
- Reviews contract documents commenting on their suitability and whether they have been fully and correctly completed.
- Reviews the Legal Report on Title and the Valuation Report advising of any conflicts or matters which affect the contents of the Monitoring Surveyor Initial report.
- Reviews and comments accordingly on all Approvals and Consents (including but not limited to Planning, Highways, Building Control, New Build Warranty, Party Wall, Right of Light)
- Measures approximate quantities of particular elements of the building project including GIFA utilising measurement software such as Cost X in order to provide an estimate for Initial reporting purposes.
- Provides advice on contractors, specialists, procurement routes, cost and programme solutions.
- Reviews building, contractor and consultant insurances commenting on adequacy and monitoring renewal.
- Reviews reports and surveys provided and identifies outstanding requirements.
- Reports on target EPC rating and any design changes which may affect this.
- Ensures any Cost / Programme Variations, conflict of interest or other matters which may adversely affect the project are reported to the client immediately upon becoming aware of any such issues.
- Manage internal resources to provide a full range of monitoring surveying functions to enable projects to proceed from inception to completion.
- Have an understanding of, and ensure the principles and statutory regulations for Health & Safety are complied with throughout the project lifecycle
- Keep up to date with industry standards and best practice, and takes responsibility for and actively seeks opportunities for self-development.
- Comply with QA procedures to reduce potential commercial risk to the business
Desired qualifications and experience:
- Degree or equivalent in Quantity Surveying and/or Project Management, or similar equivalent
- Ideally be a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or the equivalent of a similar recognised professional body
- Some previous experience of acting in the monitoring role on projects and being involved with/supporting the resolution of contractual and legal matters
- Ability to support negotiations with other involved parties
- Full driving license
- Ability to use various sources of cost data, e.g. BCIS, in-house database, other external sources
- Have a basic understanding of different procurement types
- Have a basic understanding of construction law and standard forms of building contract
- Competent in a variety of IT packages Including Excel.
- Has a detailed understanding of construction technology.
- Knowledge of using the Cost X measurement tool or similar platforms
- Ability to nurture younger members of staff
- Acts with the best interests of the business ensuring customer care.
- Highly numerate and literate – able to quickly and efficiently deliver high quality and accurate reports.
- Be highly structured and organised with the ability to monitor multiple projects with limited delays or inconsistencies in reporting.
Investors in People accredited since 1998, Henry Riley is a privately owned international property and construction consultancy, who, for the last 130 years have been industry leaders in cost management, project management, health & safety, and digital services. Our success isn’t solely down to our ability to be visionary, innovative, and forward thinking, but our people who strive to be ambitious, creative, progressive and aspire to make a difference.
Our Vision is to become a more Diverse and Sustainable business, so we are delighted to learn from our 2021 Diversity & Inclusion survey our people reported we are a great place to work, scoring above our competitors in opportunity for growth, development, and leadership. This sets us in the spotlight for supporting our people with their growth and development in their careers, excellent work life balance and new hybrid working. High on our agenda and key to our Diversity and Inclusion targets, is supporting our people’s mental health and wellbeing. To help us achieve this, we have partnered with Mates in Mind who will be in raising awareness of Mental Health within our business and the construction industry. As a business we are working hard to actively reduce our carbon footprint and endeavour to undertake all activities in an environmentally responsible manner. Henry Riley is EcoVadis Gold accredited, putting us in the top 5% of companies for our sustainability management system.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please use the ‘Apply Now’ prompt and upload your CV, or alternatively you can forward a CV stating the role you wish to apply for in the subject to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Henry Riley LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer