2 x Senior Quantity Surveyors - Cambridge/London
Full Time - Cambridge/London
Henry Riley LLP is a leading UK property and construction consultancy with a national and international presence. The success of Henry Riley for 130 years has been down to our ability to lead the way in the construction and property industries by being visionary, innovative and forward thinking.
Our experience across numerous sectors, and our commitment to being responsive and reliable, has enabled us to develop strong and ongoing relationships with our clients.
We recognise that our staff are our most important asset, and as such we are dedicated to training and supporting them to achieve their potential. We value their wellbeing, and our friendly and dynamic working environments and company culture ensure we maintain high staff satisfaction levels.
Henry Riley was one of the first UK construction consultancy firms to be accredited with the Investors In People award and are ‘gold accredited’, which is only awarded to the top 17% of employers.
You may be required to advise on project feasibility and present detailed valuations in a professional and commercially astute manner. You may also be asked to partner with more senior colleagues to support your learning and development
As a key contact to clients, you will need to build strong relationships and be confident at interpreting and presenting data to deliver projects on time and to budget. You will be required to build strong team working skills to manage activities between multiple vendors and contractors, whilst managing costs to make sure that the initial budget isn’t exceeded
We invest heavily on our internal APC programme with positive success rates. It is also an opportunity to meet peers and colleagues from across the business who are on this programme and interact with other mentors.
Duties and Key Relationships:
- Ensure the client achieves their stated objectives through close teamwork, proactive cost control and the provision of contractual advice
- Attend and/or chair meetings with clients
- Provide day-to-day cost management of projects from estimate preparation through to final account settlements.
- Prepares contract documents or assists with preparation of more complex contract documents.
- Measures quantities of particular elements of the building project utilising measurement software such as Cost X.
- Undertakes interim valuations for larger projects or undertakes valuations on simple projects.
- Provides advice on contractors, specialists, procurement routes, cost and programme solutions.
- Manages the tender process from compiling tender lists for Contractors, preparing and issuing tender documentation, undertaking the tender analysis and preparing tender reports for clients.
- Instigate value engineering and standardisation processes aimed at reducing scheme costs and increasing value on short and long term levels
- Prepares Project Monitoring Reports to ensure accurate reports are issued to clients. Including the preparation of monthly cost reports and cash flow forecasts.
- Administer Cost Variations and report to the client.
- Carry out full post contract surveying duties including establishing the effect of variations, settlement of accounts and disputes
- Ascertainment of direct loss and expenditure.
- Agrees final accounts with contractors and reconciles to close out project costs.
- Manage internal resources to provide a full range of quantity surveying functions to enable projects to proceed from inception to completion
Direct Reports - Quantity Surveyor
Key Internal Relationships - Senior Quantity Surveyors / Senior Project Managers
Key External Relationships - Existing clients, Contractors
Requirements for the role
Qualifications and experience
- Hold 5+ years of industry experience, with a background in a construction consultancy is essential
- Experience and knowledge of the Education sector with proven background
- Degree or equivalent in Quantity Surveying and/or Project Management
- Ideally be a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or the equivalent of a similar recognised professional body
- Previous experience of being involved with/supporting the resolution of contractual and legal matters
- Ability to support negotiations with other involved parties
Knowledge and technical skills
- Uses various sources of cost data, e.g. BCIS, in-house database, other external sources.
- Has a basic understanding of different procurement types.
- Has a basic understanding of construction law and standard forms of building contract.
- Competent in a variety of IT packages Including Excel.
- Has a detailed understanding of construction technology.
- Knowledge of using the Cost X measurement tool or similar platforms.
- Ability to nurture younger members of staff
- Proven background and experience of PQS works, cost planning, tendering, procurement, post contract services etc.
Behaviours linked to our values
- Acts with the best interests of the business ensuring customer care.
- Highly numerate – able to quickly and efficiently develop plans to manage projects on time and to budget
- Be highly structured and organised with the ability to deliver projects with limited delays or overspend.
Training and Benefits
We believe in professional and personal growth and support this through training, sponsorships and apprenticeships at all stages of your career, with access to;
- RICS approved structured APC training
- Cross sector experience
- Flexible approach with working from home options
- Professional development training
- Supportive and structured career path
- Friendly working environment
- Open communication with Senior Management
- Competitive Salary and Benefits Packages including Birthday Leave, Study Leave, Life Assurance, Income Protection, Pension, Season Ticket Loan, Perkbox & Social Events.
To apply, please email your CV and Covering Letter to email@example.com
Henry Riley LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer